Why You Should Start your B2B Freelance Copywriting Business in 2021Feb 02, 2021
Don't you just love it when people give cliche entrepreneurial advice?
- “Leap, and the net will appear!”
- “Do it before you’re ready!”
- “Life is about taking risks, not playing it safe.”
I love self-help and positivity, but I also live on planet earth, where there are bills to pay. While I’m not a numbers person, I like to have the facts before making any decisions.
B2B seems to be less saturated than B2C because it’s more complex. I believe choosing a B2B niche is how I got started so quickly. Good B2B writers are in high demand.
What is B2B copywriting?
B2B means business to business. B2B writing aims to sell products to companies that buy them, such as software or office supplies. You’re still writing to a person, but your focus is on their job title and responsibilities.
On the flipside, business-to-consumer (B2C) writing is for individuals buying products (like Vitamins) for themselves–—not on behalf of a company.
B2C might be more interesting is because we all can understand the psychology of a consumer since we are one. But if you had professional experience before copywriting, I suggest using it!
You may have gained insight into how people buy, what motivates them, and what challenges they face because of your professional experience. All of that knowledge translates into powerful B2B copy.
Different types of B2B copy:
- White papers
- Case studies
- Press releases
- Sales brochures
- Sales scripts
- Blog posts
- Landing pages
- Product pages
- Social Media posts
Promising B2B Statistics for 2021
The world changed drastically in 2020. In case anyone was wondering if freelance copywriting is still worth pursuing:
- The demand for good B2B copywriters is exploding. According to Demand Metric, 91% of B2B marketers use content marketing.
- In a recent study by the Content Marketing Institute and Marketing Profs, marketing directors of B2B companies were asked about their top content marketing challenges. They ranked “Producing engaging content” and “Producing content consistently” as their top two challenges!
- There are thousands of companies in need of quality, consistent content but not enough copywriters to fill the roles. Just like diamonds, high demand and short supply mean people are willing to pay high prices.
- Content marketing generates three times more leads than paid search advertising. According to HubSpot’s “The Ultimate List of Marketing Statistics for 2019. This is gold for those just breaking into freelancing because you’ll most likely start out writing “content” before breaking into areas like web or ad copy!
- The outlook for copywriting is bright. Demand Metric states that 78% of Chief Marketing Officers believe custom content is the future of marketing.
- The best news of all for freelance copywriters? Nearly two-thirds of businesses rely on outside help to create their content. - Demand Metric
- What will you pursue, B2B or B2C? The option is yours.
You got this!